Beautiful Broken Rules - Kimberly Lauren There were a lot of things that I liked about this book. I liked the h's attitude about her sexuality and her rules. I liked her friendships and that the premise was different and original. I did think that the second half was better than the first half and the obligatory possessive words and actions from the H were there so that's always good.

So, while the story was good and the meat was there to make this an outstanding read, for me, I couldn't get past a writing style that I felt was weak and dialogue that faltered way too many times. In the beginning there was a lot of telling and not showing. Not everything had to be explained, some things I think the author could have trusted that the reader would correctly surmise by the actions and dialogue of the characters.

I thought the book handled the h's "reputation" well and Jax was a great H. There was drama and angst and jealousy and possessiveness. The supporting characters were great and I believed in the friendships that existed in the book. I just wish that this story had better substance, better sex scenes (especially in the beginning) and was able to pull me in through exquisite writing. I really struggled to stay with this book in the beginning.