Killing Sarai (Killing Sarai, #1) - J.A. Redmerski 3.5 stars. When I began this book I was expecting a dark read. I like to go into books blind but I think because this book is so different from the author's previous book, [b:The Edge of Never|16081272|The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, #1)|J.A. Redmerski|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358810128s/16081272.jpg|21880254], that there was too much chatter, discussing the differences, for me to avoid. So, although I thought this was going to be a much darker story the fact that it wasn't didn't deter from my enjoyment. The books starts off strong and I was immediately engaged. The writing was great and there was enough going on, action, that, honestly, the lack of darkness wasn't a concern.

Although, I was completely engaged and entertained throughout my read I felt a disconnect from the characters, especially in the 1st 70% of the book. Victor was so stoic initially that I couldn't get a good read on him and Sarai was there but I didn't feel close to her for some reason. I understood their characters and their motivations but I didn't feel close to them. I like to get inside of characters and feel their emotions as if I am going through exactly what they are and during my read that didn't happen.

The last third of the book definitely picked up and I really, really like where the series is going. I was very surprised, and pleased, with the turn of events. I had no idea going in that this was going to be a series but I am so glad to know that it will be. This book was a great introduction and I believe that in the next book, with their background already established, that I will have a greater opportunity to connect with Victor and Sarai. The ending was fantastic. I am excited to see what comes next.